Addressing real concerns within a relationship is sometimes the most difficult thing to do. With the fear of certain ramifications, many people avoid issues by “dealing with it.” In the last blog post, we discussed how avoiding relationship issues is incredibly detrimental to the health of an intimate relationship. In this blog we will discuss how open and effective communication can lead to the resolution of relationship concerns. Kentlands Psychotherapy offers couples therapy in Gaithersburg, MD to help those that need to improve upon their communication skills.
Effectively addressing relationship-based issues will help both parties involved. Here are a few tips that may help you broach any concerning issues:
- Effective communication starts by taking all of the conflict out of the terms you use. The minute your partner thinks that your words are a personal attack is the minute that they become defensive.
- Take the time to think about each issues and why they are concerning to the other person.
- Write down notes before you sit down with your partner so that you will not veer off topic.
- Back up your issues with statements about what is important to you.
- Compliment your partner. Do not focus on negative aspects of your relationship. Sandwich each concern with compliments.
- Offer options to resolve each issue.
- Do not forget to let your partner talk about the concerns that you have laid out and bring up their own concerns.
Effective communication can only occur when both parties have an ongoing dialogue. Some couples instinctually talk about everything, while others have a difficult time with confrontation. This is where couples therapy through Kentlands Psychotherapy can help the residents of Gaithersburg, MD and the surrounding communities. Call today to get your relationship back on track.